Marriage Between Muslims of Different Sects
  • Question:

I’ve been married for two years to my husband who is an Ahmadiya Muslim. Myself being a Sunni Muslim didn’t think it was an issue for us to be married. However, upon further research and understanding to their beliefs in recent months I have been overwhelmed with fear, guilt and uncertainty concerning our marriage being invalid or bidah from an Islamic perspective. Am I right in thinking so? We don’t have any kids but I am concerned as to how this would impact them growing up. Please advise, as I would like to move forward to positively impact my deen.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Leaving all the labels aside, if the person you have married is adhering to all the main tenants and articles of faith from both the Qur’an and Hadith, then there is no objection, however if your partner is believing in a prophet or messiah who has come to complete the Prophet-hood or other such beliefs that go contrary to the Quran and Sunnah from the Sunni perspective, then you should encourage him to educate himself and accept the required tenants otherwise the validity of your nikah can be at stake. The concern of the children being confused and also perhaps accepting something against your values is highly possible. It is advised to seek guidance from trusted elders and imams of your local community to guide you accordingly.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question