Any animal slaughtered by the book of scripture is halal for Muslims?
  • Question:

My question is that the Holy Quran in surah 5 (5:5) says that any animal slaughtered by the book of scripture is halal for Muslims. I live in UK and please explain me if I am allowed to consume the meat from any shop that does not declares it as halal?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Your concern for adhering to a halal diet is admirable.
    Technically, as per the verse it is permissible to consume the meats that are slaughtered by the people of the book (Jews and Christians). Therefore, if one can guarantee that the meat is from animals ritually slaughtered by the Jews and Christians, there would be no objection.

It must be noted that in most western countries and multi-cultural societies, meats that are readily available in superstores and meat shops are generally not slaughtered and prepared according to ritual slaughter guidelines. In many cases the process is automated by machine and robots. There are a number of plants where the animals are slaughtered by atheists and polytheists. Hence, it would be advisable that one must be certain and assured that the meat is prepared appropriately. One should look out for halal or kosher certified meats.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question