Is it allowed to give my shop on rent to a bank?
  • Question:
    Is it allowed to give my shop on rent to a bank, and is it allowed for my husband to work in partnership with his brother who works in a bank and to eat with him and my children accepting gifts from him?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Islamic Jurists in general state that if one rents an empty space, for a potential sinful purpose, it will be considered makrūh tanzīhī (disliked). If however, one rents a completely renovated structure for the purpose of an operational bank, it will be makrūh taḥrīmī (prohibitively disliked). (See: Fatāwa Dār al ‘Ulūm Zakarīyya). In essence, it is not totally prohibited to rent one’s property to a bank. However, since there is a scholarly difference, one is advised to search for another suitable tenant.

Partnership with someone working in Islamically questionable transactions is to be avoided.
    “And cooperate in righteousness and piety, but do not cooperate in sin and aggression. And fear Allah” (Qur'an 5:2)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question