Explanation of Verse 2:62 of the Holy Quran
  • Question:

A non Muslim co-worker of mine, who is also connected to a charity organization, visited our mosque. I gave her a tour of the masjid and also assured her that she is welcome to ask myself or any of the volunteers any questions she had about the masjid or about Islam in general. After her visit on sunday, she asked me whether we could sit down at work and she wanted to ask me a couple of questions on Islam. So this Friday, we discussed what islam says about a number of things including status of women, prayer and the hereafter.

When discussing the concept of heaven and hell, a hadith came up that on the whole says whoever beleives in Allah/one god will go to heaven (eventually). I do vaguely remember discussions on this hadith and reading it in various places, but I did let her know that I donot remember it word for word. She sort of caught me on this and asked whether this saying applied to other monotheists, would they enter jannah (paradise) as well since they beleive in one God?

I hope that you are able to relate to which hadith I am talking about, and If I am wrong I will let her know I didnot know what I was talking about. I did let her know that I would ask someone about this hadith and get back to her. If you get a chance, could you please clarify?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. Your interaction with the non Muslims is admirable. May Almighty Allah bless you for your comittment to da'wah and discussions on Islam with your non Muslim co worker.

In reply to your concern, I believe you are refering to the verse of the Holy Quran which reads as follows:

"Surely, those who believed in Allah, and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabians, -whosoever believes in Allah and in the Last Day, and does good deeds - all such people will have their reward with their Lord, and there will be no reason for them to fear, nor shall they grieve." (Holy Quran 2:62)

First of all, I would like to point out that the human being does not judge or decide who goes to paradise or hellfire. This is a decision that lies ultimately with Almighty Allah. Hence, no one can say conclusively that such and such a person is destined for hell or paradise.

However, there is a general criteria laid down by Almighty Allah and His last Prophet (pbuh) regarding the path that will lead to paradise and protect one from the hell fire, such as believing in the final testament of God, the Holy Quran and believing in all that was brought by the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Regarding the verse, numerous commentators (Mufassiroon) have explained that this verse is inviting the followers of other religions to complete their belief by accepting the final revelation of Almighty Allah (God). Accordingly, Muslims believe Islam is the ultimate truth that will open the doors to the path to paradise for everyone.

(For refererence, please see Maariful Quran by Mufti Shafi, Asbaab Al Nuzool by Imam Alwahidi, Safwat Al Tafaasir by Imam Al Saabuni and Tafsir Ruhul Bayan by Imam Ismail Al Barusawi)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question