Khidr AS in Musa's AS Story
  • Question:

I recently came across a discussion concerning prophet Khidr a.s . Apart from the Quranic story mentioned about Musa a.s and Khidr a.s , some claim about other incidents from al Khidr a.s life stating evidences from swahee Muslim that he had been blessed with long life. They also claim that Umar RA had witnessed the presence of Khidr a.s during Prophet Muhammad SAW lifetime. Also since the first time I am hearing these incidents, I want to know the authenticity of these above-mentioned incidents. There are more facts that they claim from al Khidr a.s life and it confuses me all the more.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

In regards to the on going life of the great sage, Khadhir, the reports are fabricated and unreliable. Most scholars of Islamic Theology are of the opinion that Khadir has passed away.

Imam Abu al Faraj al Jawzi indicates that the notion that Khadhir is living is contrary to the Qur'an, Hadith, consensus of Islamic jurists and also logic.

“We did not grant to any human before you eternity [on earth]; so if you die - would they be eternal?” (Qur'an 21:34)

We have not come across any reliable report suggesting that Omar bin Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) seeing or meeting Khadhir.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question