Yajuj Majuj (Gog Magog) - Are They Aliens?
  • Question:

I know the Yajuj Majuj (Gog Magog) are mentioned in the Holy Quran. I was wondering whether they are humans, aliens or extra terrestrial creatures. Would you be able to help me understand?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. May Allah bless you for your inquisitiveness regarding matters mentioned in the Holy Quran.

The Yajuj and Majuj are human beings. This can be understood by the following hadith:

"Among you are two nations who never come to anything but they overwhelm it with their huge numbers, they are the Yajuj and Majuj". (Bukhari & Muslim)

Imam Ibn Kathir (ra) also writes in his famous tafseer, "The Yajuj and Majuj are among the progeny of Adam". (Tafseer Ibn Kathir)

Mufti Shafi (ra) has expounded on the details of the Yajuj and Majuj in his book, Ma'aarif Al Quran, and states that the linage of the Yajuj and Majuj can be traced back to one of the sons of the Prophet Nuh (pbuh). (Ma'aarif Al Quran)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question