Friday Prayers - Making Up for Missed Prayers
  • Question:

I have a query regarding the Jummah namaz which is compulsory to pray. My office timings are such that it is not possible for me to offer Jummah prayers in the afternoon and due to this it’s been many months I have not offered Jummah Prayers. Please guide me and advise me as to how can I cover these prayers and when can I pray them if I miss them praying in Masjid.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

May Allah reward you for your concern regarding the prayers.

Both work and prayer are of utmost importance.

We advise you to respectfully have a meeting with HR, administration and your supervisors. Explain to them that Friday prayers are an integral part of your religion. Also obtain a letter of this nature from your local masjid Imam to hand over to your employer. We are confident that if you take the right steps and speak to the right people, you will be granted leave to perform the Jumuah prayers. Your employer will be happy to allow you to make up for work time you have missed.

If in certain emergency situations, one is not able to perform Jumuah, then one is to offer Dhuhr prayers in its place.

“O, you who believe! When the call for Friday prayer is made, hasten towards the remembrance of Allah (Prayer and Khutba) and leave all transactions. This is best for you if you know.” – Qur’an 62:9

“Whosoever misses three Jumu’ah prayers by taking the matter lightly, Allah will seal his heart.” (Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question