Raising Voices in the Masjid
  • Question:

In our masjid, people generally get together at the back of the main prayer hall and continue talking, which usually disturbs those who are peacefully engaged in their personal prayers, worship and recitation. Could you kindly point out a hadith or two to post them near this space where people congregate to talk in the masjid!

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

The Prophet (pbuh) said, 'Beware of indulging in 'haishaat' (loud noises, argumentation and loose talks) of the markets (when you are in the mosque)". (Saheeh Muslim)

"The Prophet (pbuh) advised to keep the following away from the masjid: the very young children, the insane, the mischief-causing people, disputes and raising the voices". (Ibn Majah, Baihaqi, Mu'jam Al Kabir)

Imam Bukhari (ra) reported that Assa'eb (ra) said, "I was in the masjid and a man called me, I turned to him and there was Omar (ra). And he said, "Bring me these two men", then I brought them to him. Omar (ra) asked, "Where are you from? They replied from the people of Ta'ef. He said, "If you were from the people of Madinah (our local community), I would have disciplined you because you raised your voices in the Masjid" (Al Adab Al Mufrad of Imam Bukhari)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question