Divorce - Uttered During A Marital Fight
  • Question:

When me and my husband, have a fight, it gets really abusive and he physically hurts me, than he utters the words talaq to me, and I ask him to stop...sometimes he says it ones or sometimes 3 times... can you please inform me whether its effected or not? Thank you.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

We pray Allah Almighty strengthen the bonds of love and mercy in all families.

Physical and or emotional abuse is forbidden in Islam. One should try to negotiate and peacefully settle issues. You are advised to seek family therapy and couple's counselling.

In general circumstances, if a husband utters the words of talaq (divorce) in the past tense, such as “I have given you divorce” or in the present tense, such as “I am giving you divorce”, it is affected and materialized. There are various implications on the marriage from an Islamic point of view. Each case can vary, based on the circumstance and wordings uttered. We strongly advise you to present your case in person with full details to a trusted, local, knowledgeable Islamic scholar so they can clarify the status of your islamic marriage.

Your husband is advised to avoid using the words of divorce in arguments.

We pray Allah facilitate the best of success in your family.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question