Married to Non-Practising Revert
  • Question:

To my detriment & with sincere regret I haven't learnt the Islamic religion as much as I would like to have. I'm 26 yrs old now & Alhamdulillah have made effort to learn & embrace Islam. My problem is that 5 years ago I became pregnant by a non-Muslim man who agreed to embrace Islam & make nikah but now I feel that he only did that my family & would agree to the marriage. In this past 5 years he has made no effort to learn the religion and continues to drink in the house and in front of my sons aged 4 years and 6 months. My husband is 46 and very difficult for me to encourage him onto the right path; we land up fighting and arguing all the time. I really regret my decision to marry this and would like advice as to raise my kids in a proper Islamic environment.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

We pray for your relief, comfort and guidance for your family.

We suggest that you approach your husband with respect and kindness stating exactly how you feel about the marriage and the children. Express your goals and vision for your life and the lives of your children. See if he is willing to assist and cooperate in fulfilling your dreams. It might be a good idea to also have marriage therapy or couple's counselling to come to some agreements regarding yourselves and your children. You should encourage him to learn Islam and attend Islamic events. In regards to your children, you should enroll them in Islamic classes and constantly expose them to islamic materials and environments. Also pray to the Almighty to keep your family on guidance.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question