Friday Prayers - Missed Due to Timings
  • Question:

Can I leave Friday prayers because there is no official permission from my college to take time off for prayers? I can go to prayers but my attendance will be marked absent and I have to miss my classes. Please advise.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

May Allah reward you for your concern regarding the prayers.

Both studies and prayer are of utmost importance. We advise you to respectfully have a meeting with the college administration and your teachers. Explain to them that Friday prayers are an integral part of your religion. Also obtain a letter of this nature from your local masjid Imam to hand over to the college. We are confident that if you take the right steps and speak to the right people, you will be granted leave to perform the Jumuah prayers. Your teachers will be happy to give you the work that you have missed.

“O, you who believe! When the call for Friday prayer is made, hasten towards the remembrance of Allah (Prayer and Khutba) and leave all transactions. This is best for you if you know.” – Qur’an 62:9

“Whosoever misses three Jumu’ah prayers by taking the matter lightly, Allah will seal his heart.” (Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question