Pursuing a Career in Animations and Graphic Designs
  • Question:

My question is about animation cartoons and graphic designs. My daughter wants to get her education completed in making and preparation of animated cartoons, films and computer graphic designs. I tried to convinced her to go for some other field. But she is not ready to change. I just wanted to know the Islamic ruling of getting education in animated cartoon, films and pursing career in it.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Education and career is of utmost importance in a believer’s life.

According to Islam, seeking an education and career in cartoon animation and graphic design is permissible provided the conditions from Islamic injunctions are all fulfilled. Some are listed below:

When drawing, graphic animation and or photography is undertaken, the following is to be islamicaly considered:
    • The objects photographed, drawn or designed in animation are not to be obscene or lewd.
    • The objects photographed, drawn or designed in animation should not be for veneration or worship.
    • While taking photographs, drawing or designing in animation, the intention should never be to liken or resemble Allah’s matchless ability ‘to create’. Rather the intention should be that one is simply capturing an image of what Allāh Almighty has already created. Allāh is the only al-Muṣawwir (the One who shapes the forms of His creation).
    • Printing digital photographs or animations of animate objects would only be permissible in meaningful necessities, such as pictures for passports, identification cards or educational purposes.
    • Whatever is prohibited to view in a physical tangible sense is also prohibited to view or design virtually and digitally.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question