Abortion Due to Financial Situation - Haram or Permitted?
  • Question:

I have a great problem in front of me and I would like to solve it in Islamic way. As I am married and 2 months pregnant and my husband say it would be better if I have an abortion and plan for the next baby. As he is in very hard circumstances and very big financial loss, he loves me and just because of this tough condition he says it. Do I need to follow his words in this matter? Please help!!! It's my first pregnancy and I do have many lovely attachments with my pregnancy, as of in Islamic way its haram to have abortion.... but other side do I need to listen to my husband?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

We pray Allāh ease your situation and provide comfort.

It is prohibited to get an abortion in your situation. Abortion constitutes murder in Islam.

If one feels they would be unable to take care of the child, they should give the child up for adoption to someone who would ensure the safety and well-being of the child.

“Whosoever has spared the life of a soul, it is as though he has spared the life of all people. Whosoever has killed a soul, it is as though he has murdered all of mankind.” (Quran 5: 32)

“And do not kill your children out of fear of poverty; We shall provide for them and for you. Truly, the killing of them is a great sin”. (Quran 17:31)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question