Prayers - Offering Them in a Car
  • Question:

I live in Pakistan and there is hardly any masjid which has separate space for females to offer prayer. I do have to travel long distances while travelling. Can I offer my prayers while seated when the car is stopped?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Nafl (optional) prayers are permitted while seated in a vehicle or conveyance. However the reward and blessings are reduced. As for Fardh prayers, one must stand and perform them if one has the ability to stand.

The Darul Iftaa of Jamiah Islaamiyah Maseehul-Uloom has stated the following:

“Qiyām, meaning to stand, is a “rukn (integral part)” in Fardh Salāh. Fardh Salāh will be incomplete, if performed while seated by an individual who is capable of standing. The Prophet (peace and blessings upon him), while traveling would at times perform Nafl Salah (optional prayers) on his conveyance, but would always descend (climbing off the conveyance) when performing the Fardh Salah. Never once in his life, did he (peace and blessings upon him) perform his Fardh Salah while travelling on his conveyance. If Qiyam had not been a rukn in Salah, The Prophet (peace and blessings upon him) would have at least once performed his Salah while mounted on his conveyance to confirm the permissibility of doing so.”

Jabir (may Allah be pleased with him) reports, “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings upon him) offered his prayers upon his conveyance (transportation) in which ever direction the (conveyance animal) was facing. When he intended to perform the Fardh prayer, he would climb down and face the Qibla”. (Bukhari)

Some jurists are of the opinion that if the vehicle or airplane cannot be stopped, one can perform the fardh prayers while seated but will be required to repeat the prayer once they get a chance after the travel. The sin for not standing despite having the ability to do so will not be applicable when the prayer is repeated after the travel.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question