Second Marriage - What is the Law?
  • Question:

I am planning to marry another wife (the second, and also we agreed from the beginning that the plan is more than a single wife), but she (the current wife) is refusing as I had to ask/share to her my wishes. What is the hukum/solution to this?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Marriage is a serious commitment. There are many rights and responsibility in marriage.

Islamically, it is permissible for a man to marry a second wife. However, there are a number of issues to be dealt with that must be taken into consideration:

- Is it legally permitted to engage in polygamy in your country?

- Is the first wife aware of this proposed marriage or is this a secret marriage? There is no concept of a secret marriage in Islam.

- Is the husband able to fulfill all related rights and responsibilities regarding the second marriage such as spending equal time and parenting children? and providing all wives with shelter, food, clothing and basic necessities?

Even though you have the full islamic right to go ahead and get married again, we suggest you sit down with the elders of the families and or some respectable imams to discuss the matter. The advice and pertinent counsel that is presented in such meetings will enable you to understand some of the perspectives you may not be aware of.

We pray that Allāh bless you and your future.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question