Marriage - Non-Muslim Spouse Has Not Accepted Islam
  • Question:

I got married to a Christian lady, with the fervent hope that she'd accept Islam. A year down the line, her actions rather suggests the contrary. I'm really in a fix and a great dilemma. I don't want to continue with the relationship. What would you advise?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

We pray for the best in your family and life.

In your particular situation where you have married a Christian, it is obvious that it will take time if you are trying to encourage her to accept Islam. Multi-faith and multi-cultural marriages come with many challenges.

If she is a decent human being and your marriage is stable, you should not divorce her simply because she has not accepted Islam.

I suggest you make istikhārah, seek some counsel from trusted elders and marriage therapists. See if your wife can address her perspectives on religious beliefs and practice and your expectations. In-sha Allah through respectful communication and counselling, I am confident, your marriage can remain in tact with goodness.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question