Immature Behaviour by Husband – Forgiveness or Khula?
  • Question:

    I was married 5 month ago. My husband proved to be an extremely childish and immature after marriage. He even involved his eldest brother to choose which clothes I should wear on Walima. Actually he was the youngest and all his siblings and mother had been pressurizing him to ask me to give him my car and a handsome amount of money from my salary for them. and he couldn't stand the test. So 1 day while we were travelling in my car, I refused to comply with a demand by him, he asked me to stop the car immediately on a side, drop him there and the relationship was over from his side. He said this twice and I also stopped the car twice and asked him to get down. But then he refused to do so. Later that night, in my house he took oath on Quran before me, my sister and mother that he would never repeat this kind of behaviour towards me nor let his family make any unjust demand on me. But then on the very next day he turned me out of his house at midnight. Should I forgive him or take Khula?

    Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

    Thank you for your question.

    May Allah shower His mercy on you.

    Ending a marriage is a serious decision.

    Before you opt for annulment, I suggest you take some counselling, family therapy and have some elders of both your families involved. There might be some mutual understanding that result from such meetings, which can potentially save your marriage.

    After exhausting the above efforts, if you feel you are being abused and your marriage is not working, there is no harm in seeking separation and or annulment of marriage.

    We pray for ease, comfort and success.

    And Allah knows best.

    Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question