In Islam is it permissible for me or not to talk on mobile phone or having sms?
  • Question:

My question is that my engagement is done having all the formalities but except the nikkah so can I talk with my fiance on phone or sms? In Islam is it permissible for me or not to talk on mobile phone or having sms?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Talking, fondling and sexual relations are only permissible after nikah (marriage). Since the engagement is complete, there is bound to be loose, informal and intimate talk which then leads to sexual emotions. This is why the Islamic approach would be to avoid talking until the nikah is performed.

Almighty Allah states “Success is really attained by the believers …. who guard their private parts except from their wives or from those (bondwomen who are) owned by their hands, as they are not to be blamed. However, those who seek (sexual pleasure) beyond that are the transgressors” (Quran 23:1-7)

“So, marry them … and give them their dues, as recognized, they being bound in marriage, not going for lust, nor having paramours.” (Quran 4:24)

“Our Lord, let our spouses and children be a source of joy for us, and keep us in the forefront of the righteous.” (Quran 25:74)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute

Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question