Women Attending the Congregational Funeral Prayer
  • Question:

Is it permissible for women to attend the funeral prayer and offer the funeral prayer in congregation?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Imam Hakim Al Naishapuri (ra) has quoted an authentic (saheeh) hadith in his monumental work, Al Mustadrak, and there after stated, "This is clear evidence of the permissibility relating to the women's funeral prayer upon the deceased".

The narration Imam Hakim (ra) refers to is a report on the authority of Abdullah bin Abu Talha (ra) from his father Abu Talha (ra), who stated, "I invited the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) regarding Umair (ra) when he had passed away. The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) came to us and offered the funeral prayer for him in our home. The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) moved forward (to lead), while I stood behind him and Umm Sulaim (ra) stood behind me". (Mustadrak & Talkhees)

It is worthy to note, that in congregations, where sisters are attending the funeral prayers, they are to follow the Islamic etiquettes related to dressing and morality.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question