Zakat on Jewellery
  • Question:

I have 250 grams of gold which my father gave me in my marriage. My husband's salary is not that much so I could take some amount for zakat. Now I am able to take only PKR10,000 for zakat and I want to give that to any needy but my husband is not allowing me to give that much amount for him that amount is too much. What should I do as my husband does not agree and I really do want to give the money as zakat. Please guide me.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. May Allāh bless you for your desire to fulfill religious financial obligations.

Zakāh is mandatory on each individual who possesses the amounts or commodities that makes Zakāh mandatory.

Since your gold is Zakātable, it is your obligation to discharge the Zakāh. The amount to be given is 2.5%. If your husband does not agree, we suggest you approach an Islamic scholar with your husband, to clarity the obligation and its requirements in this third party’s presence.

Your positive and gentle encouragement to him, to educate himself on religious obligations will also be productive In-shā Allāh.

We pray Allāh facilitate success.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question