Taking Another Wife for Her Income
  • Question

My husband wants to marry another woman who is working so that with her income he would be able to financially support me and my kids, is this permissible?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

May Allāh bless you with ease and goodness.

Marriage is a serious commitment. There are many rights and responsibility in marriage. Even though, Islamically, it is permissible for your husband to marry a second wife, it seems, the suggested second marriage is on a wrong and false foundation. Firstly, if your husband is unable to sustain and maintain the expenses related to you and your children with him, it is not permissible for him to marry another person. Financially supporting the wife is the sole obligation of the husband. A husband’s second wife is not obliged or mandated to support his first wife.

If this is the basis for your husband intending to marry another woman, it would not be appropriate at all.

We suggest you sit down with the elders of both your families and or some respectable imams, along with your husband to discuss the matter. The advice and pertinent counsel that is presented in such a meeting will enable your husband to understand some of the perspectives he may not be aware of.

We pray that Allāh bless your family with guidance, peace and love.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question