Eating with a Knife, Fork or Spoon
  • Question:

Is it okay to use a knife, fork or spoon when eating? Would it be sinful to eat with a spoon and fork? Some people look down upon me when I eat in this manner.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

There is no doubt that the general noble practice of the Prophet (pbuh) was to eat food with his hands. It is also reported that the Prophet (pbuh) would lick his fingers after eating, which denotes his eating food with his hands. Hence it would be considered ‘sunnah’ (prophetic practice) to eat with the hands. Following this practice will most certainly bring blessings and rewards.

As for eating with a knife, fork or spoon, it is mubaah (allowed) and will not make a person sinful. There are some reports indicating that the Prophet (pbuh) also used a knife when eating.

Ja'far ibn 'Amr bin Umaiya (r) states, my father said, "I saw Allah's Messenger taking a piece of (cooked) mutton from the shoulder region and then he was called for prayer. He put the piece of meat and the knife he was clutching with down, and prayed without repeating ablution." (Bukhari, Muslim)

Shaykh Mufti Khalid Saifullah Al Rahmani writes, “It is not appropriate for one to exaggerate, be vehement or harsh in this matter” (See Nawaazil Fiqhiyyah Muaasirah)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question