Halal Food Prepared By Non-Muslim - Is It Permissible to Consume?
  • Question:

I am a recent convert Alhamdulillah (was Ismaili previously). I am a single working girl living with non-Muslim parents. Since I am a working woman, I cannot cook food, my mum does it. As far as I have learned, I cannot consume meat cooked by non-Muslim. The meat that comes to my home is from a Muslim butcher though. Meat is often cooked at my home and most of the times I am not left with any option. Also, I am still unable to tell my mum that I can’t eat meat cooked by her. Honestly don’t have courage to hurt her :( I have been giving excuses every time meat is cooked at my home to refrain from it. Can you please guide me what would be the right approach in my situation considering I don’t want to hurt my parents?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Ma-shā Allāh / Congratulations on your reversion to Islam. May Allāh strengthen your faith and keep you on the road of guidance, peace and mercy.

From what you have described, it seems that the meat cooked in your parent’s home is from a Muslim butcher who serves genuine ḥalāl meat. If that is the case, it is permissible for you to consume the meals they prepare for you, provided that there are no other non-ḥalāl ingredients, mixed with the meals. A non Muslim cooking a meal does not constitute the meal being forbidden. The Prophet Muḥammad (peace and blessings upon him) also ate the food of non Muslims (See: Musnad Aḥmad)

You should continue respecting your parents, even though they may be non-Muslims. Good conduct and responsible mannerism with non-Muslims is an Islamic injunction.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question