New Muslims - Informing the Non-Muslim Family
  • Question:

I am a revert and I have not informed my parents about it. This is because I feel they may either cut relations with me or take me back home and force to follow their religion. I am able to practice Islam because I live alone in another city and they are unaware of my conversion. I want to get married to a Muslim but I do not have a wali except the PR relations officer of our local DIET center. However, other Muslim women in the community who claim to look for prospects for me continue to tell me that I should inform my parents and not doing so is against Allah because death may come anytime and that they may perform my last rituals in a non-Islamic way. This is very disturbing. What is more important, having ability to continue practicing Islam or informing parents and getting killed to have last rituals in a Islamic way?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Thank you for contacting us for your question.

Congratulations / Mā shā Allah on your reversion to Islam. We pray that the Almighty continue to bless you and protect you.

Practicing your religion is between you and the Almighty. It is not an obligation to inform anyone of your religious practice, especially if you fear danger.

In marriage, if your father or an uncle etc. cannot be your guardian, the local imam or a Muslim elder in your community can assume the position of walī for the nikāḥ.

In regards to your death and final rites, you can register a will and final testament, which can include how you would want to be buried. This become a legal document which no one can oppose.

Even though, your close family and parents may not be Muslim, we advise you to display good conduct and respectful mannerism to them.

May Allah facilitate success.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question