Excretion or Discharge that Nullifies Wudu
  • Question:

I am a medical Doctor. I have this problem of normal mucus discharge after sexual excitement or erection without ejaculation, we doctors say this condition as extra discharge of normal clean mucus but with this I can’t offer my prayers five times a day, what is Islamic point of view if I miss my prayers because of this condition which is otherwise normal in medicine?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

May Allāh bless you for your concern regarding purity and prayer.

Excretion or discharge that exits the penis due to arousal and sexual excitement nullifies the wudū (ablution). If the discharge is ejaculation or ejection of semen, then ghusl (Islamic bath) becomes mandatory. (See: Mukhtaṣar al Qudūrī)

In the first situation, one should wash the genitals, and clothing that may have been soiled, and refresh their wudū, thereafter perform the ritual prayer (ṣalāh) at it’s appropriate time. Delaying fardh (mandatory) prayers is a violation of the Qur’ānic injunction.

In the second scenario, one should take a bath (ghusl) in order for the prayer to be valid.

“And if you are unclean, purify yourselves.” (Qur’ān: 5:6)

“Allah loves those who purify themselves.” (Qur’ān: 9:108)

“Purity is half of faith.” (Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim)

“Perform ṣalāh as due. Surely, ṣalāh is an obligation on the believers that is tied up with time.” (Qur’ān: 4:103)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question