Resigned to Singlehood - Is This Permitted?
  • Question:

The girl I wanted to marry is being married to another man. I have resigned myself to singlehood. Is this permitted in Islam?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

We are sorry to hear about your situation. May Allāh bless you with peace and success.

To answer your question, staying single (not marrying) is discouraged in Islam, but it is permissible.

In general circumstances marriage is considered a sunnah (prophetic practice). One is encouraged to marry and start a family. (Rad al Mukhtār)

In the situation where one fears falling into sin (adultery or fornication), then marriage becomes obligatory (wājib).

One is recommended not to marry in the case where one is terminally ill, feeble or unable to fulfil rights associated with marriage. (Fiqh al Ḥalāl wa al Harām of Shaykh Khālid Saifullāh Al Rahmāni)

“Arrange the marriage of the spouseless among you, and the capable from among your bondmen and bondwomen. If they are poor, Allah will enrich them out of His grace. Allah is All-Encompassing, All-Knowing”. (Qur’ān 24:32)

“And those who say, “Our Lord, Give us, from our spouses and our children, comfort of eyes, and make us heads of the God-fearing.” (Qur’ān 25:74)

Most prophets had family and children;

“We have sent messengers before you, and gave them wives and children” (Qur’ān 13:38)

“O group of youth, those of you have the means, should certainly marry” (Bukhāri and Muslim)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question