About Jinns
  • Question:

I have found only a very few references to the existence or nature of the Jinn, I am not doubting their existence though. However, Quran mentions numerous prophets (Rasuls/Nabis) who came before to preach Tawheed to their respective nations, and finally Muhammad SAW to preach Islam to the whole world. Was the revelation for the Jinn same as the one for mankind? What Quran Ayah/Hadith proves that Jinn were listening/interacting with the Prophet during his lifetime? Are Ijma and Qiyas applicable for them as well? There have to be Muslims among them because Quran says mankind and Jinn both will be judges on the Day of Judgement. Please clarify and explain in the light of Quran and Hadith if possible.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

I recommend a book “the world of jinn and devils” by Sh Umar Al Asqar (rahimahullah) which clarifies all of these concepts. There are numerous ayaat, particulary in suratul jinn, that speak of this creation of Allah. There are even more ahadeeth on the topic. What we know about them is that they are a species, like human beings, who have choice and will which leads some of them to belief and others to disbelief. They are accountable to the Human Messengers (peace be upon them) as well as jinn messengers possibly sent only to them (which is a matter of difference of opinion). They have nations, tribes, languages, and are made fire.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Omar Suleiman
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Director – Islamic Learning Foundation
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question