Praying In Clothes Imprinted with Images of Living Creatures
  • Question:

Is it permissible to pray in clothes that have images of living creatures like people and animals? Is wudu/prayer nullified in such clothes?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

Anas Ibn Malik (ra) narrated that Ayesha (ra) had a curtain with which she covered one side of her room, so the Prophet (SalAllahu alayhi wa salam) told her: “Take this curtain away from me, for its pictures are distracting me from my prayer.” (Bukhari) Imam Al Bukhari even wrote a chapter in his book named “The chapter of the disliked nature of performing prayer in clothes that have pictures.”

Abu Talha also reported that the Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wa salam) said: “Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture.”

Ibn Hajar comments by saying: “The pictures that prevent the angels from entering the house are the forbidden pictures, which are the pictures of living creatures whose head is not cut or the pictures that are not treated with disrespect.” (Fathul Bari)

Nawawi: "It is disliked for the Muslim to perform prayer in the clothes which carry images, a cross or any distracting object. It is also disliked to pray facing them or on them."

What these statements show us is that one should not pray in these clothes or in rooms with such pictures. However, it is an issue of strong dislike (makroo) and not one that causes the prayers to be invalidated. Therefore, one should simply take heed in the future and seek forgiveness for the past.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Omar Suleiman
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Director – Islamic Learning Foundation
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question