Ritual Slaughter by a Woman or Child
  • Question:

I was told that the meat of an animal slaughtered by a woman or child is not permissible. I would like to seek clarification on this matter. Your help is appreciated.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

In response to your concern, kindly note the following:

The dhabh (ritual slaughter) administered by a believing woman or child is acceptable and the meat obtained from such an animal would be permissible for consumption, provided all requirements for the slaughter are completed (such as taking the name of Allah, severing the required arteries etc.).

It is reported on the strength of Ka'ab Ibn Maalik (ra) that a woman slaughtered a sheep with a (sharp) stone. The Prophet (pbuh) was asked regarding it. He advised to eat it. (Bukhari)

In some versions of the above narration, it is stated that it was a 'young girl' or 'slave girl' (Bukhari)

The great Islamic jurist Imam Ibrahim Al Nakhaei (ra) declared, "There is no objection in the slaughter administered by a woman or child with the condition that they are proficient in the slaughter and safeguard the recital of tasmiyyah (ritual blessing during the slaughter)". (Fath Al Baari)

Imam Ibn Al Qudaamah (ra) stated, "It would be permissible to consume the flesh of the slaughtered animal of any one who is able to skillfully administer the slaughter from amongst the believers; whether man, woman, mature, minor, free or slave. We are not aware of any difference of opinion in this matter". (Al Mughni, I'ilaa Al Sunan)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question