Sacrifice/Udhiyyah on Behalf of the Deceased
  • Question:

I have two questions regarding the Qurbani (ritual animal slaughter) during Eid Al Adha. During the days of Eid Al Adha, it has been customary in our culture to slaughter on behalf of deceased relatives and also on behalf of the Prophet (pbuh).

I would like to obtain the religous verdict regarding the following:

1. Is it permissible to slaughter (Qurbani) on behalf of the deceased?
    2. Is it permissible to slaughter (Qurbani) on behalf of the Prophet (pbuh)?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. Your commitment to learning the correct position in matters related to the religion is admirable.

The response to your concerns is as follows:

1. It is permissible to slaughter Udhiyyah animals for Allah's sake on behalf of the deceased with the intention the reward of the good deed would reach them. This would be considered an optional act (nafl).

2. It is also permissible to slaughter Udhiyyah animals for Allah's sake on behalf of the Prophet (pbuh) with the intention of rendering an act of goodness. This again would be considered an optional deed (nafl).

Please refer to the following hadiths:

Ali (ra) reports, "The Prophet (pbuh) instructed me to slaughter on his behalf. Therefore, I will continue to slaughter (Udhiyyah) on his behalf as long as I live". (Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood, Musnad Ahmed)

Hamash (ra) says, "I saw Ali (ra) slaughtering two sheep, so I asked him why he is slaughtering two sheep." He said, "The Prophet (pbuh) made a bequest that I should render Udhiyyah for him." (Tirmidhi).

Abbaas (ra) says that Sa’d ibn Ubaadah (ra) was away when his mother passed away. When he returned he asked the Messenger of Allah (pbuh), "Will it be of any benefit if I give charity on her behalf? The Prophet (pbuh) replied in the affirmative". (Bukhari)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question