White Twilight for Commencing Fajr Prayer
  • Question:

The concern I had was with the claim that Fajr begins at the appearance of the morning white twilight (as opposed to the red twilight). I was wondering if I could please get a few verses, hadiths, or rulings of the scholars of fiqh on this matter.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. Masha Allah, your concern to understand the religion is admirable.

In relation to the beginning of Fajr time, kindly note that Fajr time sets in at the appearance of the Shafaq al Abyadh(whiteness in the sky across the horizon). A few references for this stance are mentioned below:

• Almighty Allah states; “And eat and drink until the white thread (light) of dawn appears to you distinct from the black thread (darkness of night)” (Holy Quran 2:187)

• Ibn Abbas (r) reports the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said: "There are two fajrs(dawns). As for the first, it does not prevent eating (for the fasting person) nor does it permit prayer (the Fajr prayer). As for the other it prohibits eating and allows the prayer.” (Ibn Khuzaimah and Haakim)

• Ibn Qudamah (r) emphasizes that there is scholarly consensus that the time for the Fajr prayer commences with the arrival of the true dawn. The true dawn can be distinguished from the false dawn in that it appears as a clear white line along the horizon. (Al Mughni)

• This view is adopted by all Sunni Islamic jurists. (Al Fiqh Ala Madhaahib Al Arba’ah)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question