Raising a Stepchild and Lack of Support from Husband
  • Question:

I would like to know, what are the guidelines I need to follow while raising a step child (in my case a son). I have a biological daughter too. I am not sure how to handle certain situations, as he is very stubborn and my husband is not being supportive in disciplining the children. My son's bad behaviour is causing a rift between me and my husband as I am the only one trying to discipline him. Kindly suggest. I try to be fare in whatever I do but, he refuses to understand that his sister is too young to be treated the same way he is (for example study time, play time etc.)

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. There is more to your question than the discipline of your child.

The fact that you are comfortable saying that your husband is stubborn and unsupportive is actually pretty telling that you need to talk to someone in person about your relationship. I honestly advise speaking to a counsellor about your feelings and working through them. Seeking counsel is not embarrassing. It’s very helpful to have someone from the outside provide perspective.

As far as your adopted son's disciplinary issues are concerned, that is quite a challenge. There isn't enough in your question for me to be able to address the point but I will say that if parents take a very authoritative position with children, more and more in the modern world, it backfires. The Qur'anic picture of disciplining children and having a healthy growing relationship with them is painted through several passages. Perhaps my series on parenting and Qur'anic Wisdom might be of some help.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Founder and CEO, Bayyinah
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question