Divorce - Forcing it upon a Couple
  • Question:

My younger sister whose been married since 6 years has not been able to have intercourse with her husband for some personal reasons. Some family relatives have made this the basis to force a separation between husband and wife. The situation is such that my sister and husband are very happy together and do not wish to separate. Can you please tell us what is the ruling regarding those people who try to force a couple to break their marriage with divorce. Please answer in light of the Quran and Hadith. We are extremely grateful to you for this.

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. I pray Almighty Allāh provide relief in the situation described.

The answer to your question is that it is prohibited (harām) for any individual to force annulment or divorce on a couple that is in a valid Islamic Nikāh (marriage).

When both the husband and wife are satisfied with their lives together in the marriage, it is prohibited for anyone to force a separation or divorce.

Having intercourse is not a condition for the validity of an Islamic marriage.

It is a devastating sin upon those people who try to break the marriages of others. Allāh describes this action, as the action of the devil (shayṭān) and evil ones:

“They used to learn from them that with which they could cause separation between a man and his wife”. [Qur‘an 2:102]

Islam discourages divorce. The Prophet of Islam (peace and blessings upon him) said, “Divorce is the most hated of all lawful (halal) things in the sight of Allāh” (Sunan Abū Dawūd).

May Allah bless all couples with mercy and tranquility.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question