Sujood - Supplication and Language during Sujood
  • Question:

I want to ask a question regarding the hadith of prophet (PBUH) that 'The closest a person is to His Lord is when he is in prostration.' and that we should supplicate in it more often. Should we recite only Arabic verses or are we allowed to ask Allah about whatever need we are in, in any other language than Arabic?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question.

You have given reference to the following report, “The nearest a slave can be to his Lord (Allah) is while they are prostrating, so increase in supplication” (Muslim, Musnad Ahmad)

As you can see the narration does not specify any particular supplication. Therefore you may ask Allah for all your worldly and spiritual needs. This prostration need not to be in the ṣalah (prayer). You may render a sujud (prostration) outside ṣalah and make the supplication in any language.

As for inside the prayers (salah), there is a difference of opinion.

A group of scholars such as Imam Abu Hanifah, Imam Ṭaus and Imam Ibrahim al Nakha’i, only permit Arabic in the salah(prayers), since the dua’s (supplications) in other languages resemble regular speech which invalidates the prayer.

“The (ordinary) speech of people is not appropriate in these salahs (prayers). It is only tasbih, takbir and recitation of the Qur’an [that is permitted]” (Muslim)

Others such as the fraternity of the Shafi‘e school allow the supplication in any language, regardless of the nature of the prayer, since the narration you referred to is general.

(See: I'ela al Sunan)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question