Salah - Praying Before Specified Time
  • Question:

Is it acceptable to pray salah before its time? Zhur is at 12:05 which is when I am at school and by the time I come back it's Asr. The only time I get is around 11:50, so can I pray 10 minutes earlier than its time?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. May you be blessed for your concern regarding obligatory prayers.

I understand your frustration and difficulty with the issue of praying in school. May Allah ease your task and facilitate success. It should be noted that ṣalah is fixed at specific timings and cannot be perform prior to the arrival of it’s time, unless in situations where it is permitted, such as during Ḥajj (pilgrimage) or while in journey, according to some schools of Islamic law.

“Perform salah as due. Surely, ṣalah is an obligation on the believers that is tied up with time”. (Qur’an 4:103)

I would highly recommend you to professionally address the matter by speaking to your teachers, administration and human resources department to come up with viable solutions to ensure you can exercise your right to perform the prayers at school. Perhaps you could be given leave to step out for 10 minutes during class to offer your fardh (obligatory) prayers.

Sometimes, it is just a matter of explaining your situation to the authorities in charge, in a decent way. I know countless people who pray at work or school. They have been kindly accommodated by their employers and administration staff, following due discussions.

Once again, may Allah accept your efforts and grant success. May He accept all your sacrifices and prayers.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question