Guiding an Elderly Person to Prayer
  • Question:

What advice should I give to my father in order for him to start praying again? We used to perform prayers together as a family when he was younger but ever since he got older and especially after coming back from performing his pilgrimage, he has started to fail to perform his daily prayers. I have told him that I will try to guide him if he has forgotten how to pray, but yet he refuses to do so. In addition, other than giving him advice as well as asking from Allah to open his heart to start praying again, is there any other way to make him change his ways?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. May Allah keep everyone in His guidance and protection.

Apart from the advice and constant dua, I suggest you approach him on this matter with kindness and mercy. Let him know how happy you feel when he prays. Explain all the rewards, virtues and benefits of prayer. Also take him to environments where people of his age would be praying. Insha’Allah you will see improvements.

May Allah facilitate success.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question