Seeking to Divorce Non-Muslim Spouse
  • Question:

I am married to a Christian woman for over 14 years. We have 3 boys. My wife never became a Muslim and I cannot go on like this anymore and would like to divorce her. I love my children; I don't want them to suffer for my great mistake. I became a better Muslim for that reason, Alhamdulillah. I would love to have a religious Muslim wife. We married according to the law of the land, which is US. I thought she will accept Islam after marriage, but I was wrong. I feel guilty every day not marring a Muslim woman, when I look around I see many religious Muslim still not married. I ask Allah's guidance and mercy. Please tell me what should I do now?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. May Allah grant you happiness and success in your family life.

If you have a decent and stable marriage with the Christian wife, I recommend you do not divorce her. In Islam, although not encouraged, it is permissible for a man to marry a Christian woman.

“The most hated of the permissible is divorce.” (Abu Dawud)

"This day, good things have been made lawful for you. The food of the people of the Book is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them, and good women from among believers, and good women from among those who were given the Book before you, provided you give them their dowers, binding yourself in marriage, neither going for lust, nor having paramours. Whoever rejects Faith, his effort will go to waste and, in the Hereafter, he will be among the losers". (Quran 5:5)

Be steadfast, and continue practicing Islam to the best of your ability. Take your wife and children to Islamic events. Constantly give her dawah of Islam. Pray for her and Insha Allah your situation with her will improve.

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question