Hijab in the Presence of a Mahram
  • Question:

I am currently staying away from my parents, with my uncle (mother's brother) for education reasons. Do I need to observe hijab in front of my uncle? Is he not my mahram?

Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

Thank you for your question. May Allah bless you tremendously for your concern regarding modesty and morality.

Your mother's brother is your Mahram (non-marriageable relative), hence you have some flexibility in terms of the rules and regulations regarding gender interaction and hijab (veiling). It will be permissible for a you to not observe the hijab in your uncle's presence.

"And tell the believing women that they must lower their gazes and guard their private parts, and must not expose their adornment, except that which appears thereof, and must wrap their bosoms with their shawls, and must not expose their adornment, except to their husbands or their fathers or the fathers of their husbands, or to their sons or the sons of their husbands, or to their brothers or the sons of their brothers or the sons of their sisters, or to their women, or to those owned by their right hands, or male attendants having no (sexual) urge, or to the children who are not yet conscious of the shames of women. And let them not stamp their feet in a way that the adornment they conceal is known. And repent to Allah O believers, all of you, so that you may achieve success". (Qur'an 24:31)

Ibn Abbas (r) said: The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said, "None of you should meet a woman in privacy unless she is accompanied by a Mahram.'' (Bukhari and Muslim)

And Allah knows best.

Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question