Guiding Someone to Deen
  • Question:

    I need advice from you for my 20-year old brother who is studying for a bachelor's degree. He does not study and nor does he think of his future. Our father is 60 years old; I am the elder son and unmarried. My brother neither offers salah, not even on Friday. He does not respect his parents, while the rest of the family is quite religious. Please guide and advice for his betterment.

    Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

    Thank you for your question. May Allah bless you for your concern regarding your family members. May Allah Almighty keep us all in His protection and guidance.

    My humble recommendation, in light of your situation, is do the following:

    • Constantly pray to Allah Almighty to help and guide your family members

    • Advice your brother, with utmost care, gentleness, wisdom and kindness.

    • Remind him of the importance of having a well-rounded education and study habits along with outstanding characters and morals.

    • Ask him to choose the right company and friends

    • Take him, on a regular basis to religiously suitable surroundings, where you can win his trust, love and heart. Following that, give him the sincere brotherly advice.

    Almighty Allah states,

    “As for those who strive in Our way, We will certainly take them onto Our paths, and indeed Allah is with those who are good in deeds”. (Qur'an 29:69)

    “Say (on My behalf), “O servants of Mine who have acted recklessly against their own selves, do not despair of Allah’s mercy. Surely, Allah will forgive all sins. Surely, He is the One who is the Most-Forgiving, the Very-Merciful.” (Qur'an 39:53)

    And Allah knows best.

    Answered by Shaykh Yusuf Badat
    Hadith of the Day Imam
    Imam of the Islamic Foundation of Toronto and Director of Mathabah Institute
Earn Amazing Reward
Join HOTD Love HOTD Meet the HOTD Imams Ask a Question

Asalaam Alaykum!

If you want to ask the HOTD Imam a question please click Ask a Question